After hearing the concerns of Frenchtown area residents at a public hearing on Tuesday night, a highway contractor said Wednesday it will voluntarily withdrew its permit to build an open cut gravel mine just north of Frenchtown High School.
News of the company’s decision moved quickly on Wednesday after Sam Weyers, vice president of Nelcon Inc, reached out to residents and the Frenchtown School District to announced the company’s decision.
“Mr. Weyers said the public meeting was the main reason for the decision,” said Randy Cline, superintendent of the Frenchtown School District. “He wanted to let us know that Nelcon heard the water quality, traffic and other concerns expressed by the Frenchtown community and school district and made the business decision to walk away.”
Weyers said he plans to write a letter to the Montana Department of Environmental Quiality this week to officially withdraw its application.
The DEQ had been seeking public comment on Nelcon’s plans to create an open cut mine on 30 acres of land located just behind Frenchtown school. The mine would have cut 25 feet deep, roughly 11 feet above the water table, according to company’s proposal.
Weyers said the company made its decision out of compassion after hearing Tuesday night’s testimony.