(KPAX) Governor Steve Bullock said Friday that closures and restrictions in Montana caused by the COVID-19 pandemic are likely to remain in place for at least several more weeks.
“I said to someone, ‘I think, like most Montanans, I’m over this; I wish the virus was, and the virus isn’t over this,’” he said.
Bullock’s orders closing public schools and requiring people to stay home – except for essential activities – are both currently set to expire April 10. He said leaders have not officially decided to extend them yet, but that residents should expect they will be extended sometime next week, likely through April 24.
Bullock said Friday the state does not have an updated number on how many Montanans have recovered from COVID-19. Earlier this week, he reported 32 known to have recovered.
He said leaders are looking at the possibility of updating that data more frequently, but that there have been some challenges in aligning the data from the state and various health departments.
“The greater point is that there are people recovering, and people going back to their daily lives,” said Gov. Bullock. “Even during the times of challenge, we have to recognize those moments of optimism.”
Bulloclk said he plans to reassess the orders two weeks at a time, and that he does not want to extend them several months as other states have done.
However, he said it remains as important as ever for Montanans to stay home when possible.
“I can’t stress enough that every step that Montanans take now and in the following weeks will make all the difference in managing through this health crisis,” Gov. Bullock noted.
He said about 10% of the people who have tested positive for COVID-19 in Montana work in the healthcare sector.
Bullock also announced several steps aimed at making sure families in need have access to food at this time.
“No Montanan should have to worry about putting food on the table for themselves and their families, especially during a global pandemic,” he said.
The state plans to double its supply of food from the U.S. Department of Agriculture that will be distributed at food banks, food pantries and other emergency providers.
They will reduce some of the restrictions on Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children – or WIC – allowing more options for food if approved products are unavailable.
Bullock said they will also use flexibility, under the federal CARES Act passed last week, to provide additional benefits for those participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Participants will be able to continue receiving assistance for 12 months, and a three-month limit for some recipients will be waived. Recipients will not have to reapply during the emergency.