Iowa improved to 5-0 with a 7-0 victory over the Montana women’s tennis team on Sunday evening at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex at Iowa City.
The Grizzlies (1-3), who opened their road trip with a 7-0 loss to Iowa State on Saturday afternoon, began the match with a tight loss in doubles.
“The team stepped up in doubles and gave Iowa a run,” said UM coach Steve Ascher.
Iowa, which has dropped just two points through its first five matches, won all six singles matches in straight sets.
In four of the six singles matches, the Grizzlies had better results in the second set than they did in the first.
“We were on the court two hours longer than we were in our match against Iowa State,” said Ascher. “We are continuing to find ways to raise our level and push these teams further each time out.”
Montana will play its first Big Sky Conference match of the season when the Grizzlies play at North Dakota on Friday, Feb. 17. Montana will play neutral-site matches against Northern Iowa and South Dakota State in Grand Forks on Saturday, Feb. 18.
Iowa 7, Montana 0
Feb. 5, 2017 at Iowa City, Iowa (Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex)
1. DOUGLAS, Zoe (IOWA) def. SULZ, Hannah (UM) 7-6 (7-0), 6-2
2. REIMCHEN, Anastasia (IOWA) def. DUKIC, Lidia (UM) 6-1, 6-2
3. THOMS, Kristen (IOWA) def. ORFANOS, Catherine (UM) 6-2, 6-4
4. HUCKLEBY, Adorabol (IOWA) def. JOANLANNE, Nathalie (UM) 6-1, 6-2
5. CRAWFORD, Montana (IOWA) def. STUIJT, Stanzi (UM) 6-2, 6-0
6. LOONEY, Natalie (IOWA) def. PANIC, Milica (UM) 6-2, 6-4
1. DOUGLAS, Zoe/LOONEY, Natalie (IOWA) def. ORFANOS, Catherine/SULZ, Hannah (UM) 6-4
2. HUCKLEBY, Adorabol/THOMS, Kristen (IOWA) def. DUKIC, Lidia/PANIC, Milica (UM) 6-3
3. CRAWFORD, Montana/RUNEFELT, Carin (IOWA) vs. JOANLANNE, Nathalie/STUIJT, Stanzi (UM) 4-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,5,2,6,3,1)